Our roots go down deep in the Tustin area. The Covenant Presbyterian Church was the result of a merger between two churches. The building we now occupy was the First Presbyterian Church of Tustin and was organized by Rev. David A. Jewell in September of 1884. An addition was built to the original building in 1893. The Covenant Church was organized in 1897, in part by Peter Johnson, a Swedish lay preacher and farmer. The church was then built in 1899. The old Covenant Church still stands adjacent to the church but is now a private home. The merger between the two churches took place in 1966, at which time the Presbyterian Church was used for worship and the Covenant Church remained empty until it sold in 1971. We have since built another addition to our expanding church and have significantly updated our kitchen and basement youth area.
The history of the Covenant and Presbyterian Churches has been illustrated in Family Tree fashion: